Final Vote to Approve $5 Billion in Funding to Miami International Airport Expansion will Happen Next WeekMarch 13, 2020
Commissioners of Miami-Dade are scheduled to vote next week on releasing a $5 billion in bonds for restoration and extension of Miami International Airport. Earlier this month, they unanimously voted to approve the bonds, and a second and final reading is programmed for March 17th.
Approximately $1 billion will cover projects that already started, and the remaining $4 billion will be used to cover projects between 2020 and 2036.
Central Terminal will see the most significant changes, including the demolition and reconstruction of Concourses F and G. There will also be a new check-in area, and the curbside and exterior will be rebuilt.
At the North Terminal, four new wide-body gates will be included, thanks to the reconfiguration of the space. The regional gates at D60 will be extended and rebuilt.
The South Terminal will be extended with several new gates plus a new retail area.
The funding and plans will be organized to enable the airport to hurry up or reduce down the development based on any increase or decline in demand.
The total value equals to $4,015,563,000 when including the work necessary at other county airports like Opa Locka.
Below is a full list of what is being funded at the airport from 2020 through 2036:
- MIA North Terminal Gate Optimization Phase l
- MIA Concourse “D” West Expansion — D60
- MIA North Terminal Ramp Level Restrooms
- MIA Central Terminal Redevelopment Phase 1
- MIA Central Terminal Redevelopment Phase 2
- MIA New CC F Enabling Up—gauge and Down-gauge Project
- MIA New Concourse “F”
- MIA Concourse F New Apron Phase 1 and Phase 2
- MIA Concourse F Demo Phase 1- Headhouse Demo and New Hardstand Area
- MIA Concourse F Demo Phase 2 — CC_F Pier Demo and New Apron Phase 3
- MIA Lower Concomse E FIS Renovations ~ Phase 2
- MIA Central Terminal Upper Drive Facade and Curbside
- MIA Concourse “G” Demolition
- MIA Concourse “E” and “F” Taxi Lane and Apron Rehabilitation
- MIA South Terminal Apron and Utilities Relocation Phase 1
- MIA South Terminal Expansion East (New Gates) Phase 1
- MIA South Terminal Apron Enabling — Demolition of Building 3050
- MIA South Terminal Centralized Checkpoint
- MIA Concourse “H” – Glazing, Curtain Wall Assessment, and Corrective Action
- MIA Terminal Wide Re-roofing and Lightning Systems Upgrades
- MIA North and Central Terminal Passenger Loading Bridges Phase 2
- MIA Tenant Relocations
- MIA Vehicle Fueling and Car Wash Facility
- MIA Demolition Building 3039 and Fuel
- MIA Temporary South Terminal GSE Facility & 20th Street modiﬁcation AOA
- MIA Demolition Building 703 and 703A
- MIA Demolition Building 703 Environmental Assessment and Remediation
- MIA Building 5A Tenant Relocation
- MIA Building 702 Apron & Airside Improvements
- MIA GSE Facility for North Terminal
- MIA Demolition Building 5A
- MIA Building 702 Expansion
- MIA Demolition Building 704
- MIA Consolidated Cargo Fumigation Facility
- MIA West Cargo Truck Parking
- Land Acquisition
- MIA Runway 9-27 Rehabilitation
- MIA Perimeter Road Bridge
- MIA NW 37th Avenue Improvements
- MIA New Hotels
- MIA Fuel Storage Facility Expansion (Tank No. l)
- MIA Fuel Storage Facility Expansion (Building and Tank No.2)
- MIA Runway Incursion Mitigation (RIM) Hot Spot 5 (Corral area)