PortMiami is undergoing a historic renovation with multiple new terminals and developmentsAugust 16, 2019
PortMiami, known as the “Cruise Capital of the World,” has been the number one cruise passenger port in the world. It accommodates some of the largest ships and cruise operations in the world and is the busiest port on cruise lines and passenger traffic. Now the port is expanding, and many cruise lines are competing for the post of the best terminal.
Only last year there was more than 5.6 million cruise passenger. The passenger count is expected to overgrow in the upcoming years, which explains the move from the companies to build bigger ships and massive new terminals.
Here is a list of significant developments under construction, planned or recently completed:
1.MSC Cruise Terminal – will become the most significant cruise terminal at PortMiami. Designed by Arquitectonica two of MSC’s biggest ships will be able to dock at the same time, with up to 28,000 passenger movements in a day. Construction will start in early 2020. (Main picture)
2. Norwegian Cruise Line’s ‘Pearl of Miami’ – the $215 million terminal has construction underway now, with top-off recently and completion in spring 2020.
3. Virgin Voyages Palm Grove Terminal – Construction of the $150 million terminal should start this year, with completion in 2021.
4. Royal Caribbean’s ‘Crown of Miami’ – the terminal was built at the cost of $250 million. Royal Caribbean’s passenger count will almost triple thanks to the new terminal, and the world’s biggest cruise ship is based here.
5. Disney Cruise Terminal – Mediations are underway for Disney Cruise Lines to build a new terminal at PortMiami. Plans and an exact location haven’t been announced.
6. Royal Caribbean Global Headquarters – A $300 million state of the art campus will be built to oversee the company’s operations worldwide. Construction should start this month.
7. Virgin Trains station – Negotiations are advancing, and opening could come in 2020.